Oklahoma Statute abrogated and codified the common law and is now the *exclusive* method for changing one’s name, therefore the common law method does not survive in Oklahoma. Sneed v. Sneed, 585 P. 2d 1363 - Okla: Supreme Court 1978 Under the common law, any adult or emancipated person could change his or her name at will, without any legal proceedings, by simply adopting another name. This right was generally conditioned only on the absence of illegal or fraudulent purpose.[4] The Oklahoma Change of Name Act is now the exclusive method for change of name except by marriage, decree of divorce or by adoption,[5] and codifies the common law condition that the name not be changed for any illegal or fraudulent purpose.

In the absence of illegal or fraudulent purposes, the common law freely permitted name changes, and even though the Change of Name Act, 12 OS 1981 §§ 1631-1640, is now the exclusive method for changes of name not arising from marriage, divorce, or adoption, it incorporates the common law antecedents - in Keltch v. Alfalfa County Election Bd., 1987

See also 81. Kushner, supra note 20, at 328–29 n.79 (noting that Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine, and Oklahoma have abrogated the common law name)